Dear Parents and Students,
Art (Updated for Week 2 - Please visit Mr. Kirk's Google Classroom for updated information.)
Computer Literacy (Updated for Week 4)
Health/PE (Updated for Week 6)
STEM (Updated for Week 2)
- Sight reading factory is a tool that will help you improve your music reading skills. To register go to: https://www.sightreadingfactory.com/register and enter an email address. Use your email@example.com. See the email Mr. Featherston sent to parents for the join codes.
- SmartMusic has the method books we use in class, some of the music that we play and very many solos and other tools to help you improve and have fun! This program will also grade you on if you are playing the correct notes or not. You do need a microphone to have the evaluation aspect work. To register go to https://admin.smartmusic.com/join, and use your sumnerk12.net email (which is: firstname.lastname@example.org). See the email from Mr. Featherston for the join code.
- If your child is not enrolled in the band google classroom please follow the directions in the email to parents.
Mrs. Hester will be sending out an email update soon. In the meantime, put on your favorite music and rock out!
During this time apart, I would encourage my students to spend 30 minutes a day keyboarding. It is a necessary skill that many of our students are lacking. You can continue using your typing.com and NitroType accounts. The join codes are in Google Classroom.
For now, we are continuing the Computer Science Express Course using Code.org. If you find the Express Course too difficult, please work on any of the Hour of Code lessons. Flappy Code and Code Your Own Dance Party have been popular for my students in the past. For more information, see the assignment in Google Classroom.
For any student that isn't in my class, accounts on Code.org are free. Get out there and join the Hour of Code!
PE Update: May is here and that means the warm weather is here to stay. May is also the time of year when we have field day at SCMS! Unfortunately, we cannot enjoy the tug-of-war, inflatable bounce houses, and hanging out signing yearbooks together. You can still have fun outside with your family, though. Create some new (or old) field day events! Use your imagination to invent some new games or activities for a "virtual field day". They can be silly and fun, or they can be competitive (create medals for the winners, too). Let us know what you come up with!
GoNoodle Games https://www.gonoodle.com/blog/gonoodle-games-movement-app-for-kids/
7 Minute Workout with Lazy Monster https://apps.apple.com/us/app/7-minute-workouts-lazy-monster/id882240858
NFL Play60 App https://www.heart.org/en/professional/educator/nfl-play-60/download-the-nfl-play-60-app
Mr. Will’s PE at Home website https://www.mrwillpe.com/distancelearning.html
OPEN PE https://openphysed.org/activeschools/activehome
American Heart Association’s 25 Ways to Get Moving at Home https://www.mrwillpe.com/uploads/7/5/8/2/75820545/khc_25_ways_to_get_moving_at_home.pdf
Knowledge Island Family Edition https://knowledgeisland.org/family-licenses
Playworks Online Game Library https://www.playworks.org/game-library/
To support your efforts to keep students moving and learning while at home due to closures related to COVID-19, ActivEd has made the Walkabouts platform temporarily available at no cost to those implementing remote learning. They have created general login credentials for those who do not already have access to Walkabouts. To get started, teachers and students can log in here with the general usernames and passwords provided below for each grade level.
Cairn Guidance Non-Traditional Health Education Prompts Elementary School https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDA82vYi4FjVKcCQQEaAjMl5dCUmnewU/view
Cairn Guidance Non-Traditional Health Education Prompts Middle School https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wdp00HykfELvST7ZJJr-b8dClZwwTFWd/view
Cairn Guidance Non-Traditional Health Education Prompts High School https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kXm6xT-B_jXszvmLHIrvlJofpQq_ys5b/view
Lisa Smith’s At Home Health Education https://docs.google.com/document/d/192gBFs_Y3rzh5X5VpafXCzz39zhwmvK06WOXgQUgPFU/edit
SPARK PE/Healthy Lifestyle Choices Health Lessons https://sparkpe.org/wscc/health-education
Tips for Home Instruction
1. Set up a daily routine.
2. Have a designated place that is set aside for learning.
3. Limit distractions for your child during learning time.
4. Allow your child to take breaks but structure them to maintain a routine.
5. Mix screen time with offline learning. This can be difficult since many of the resources will be digital. Have your child read a book or textbook in order to have a break from the screen.
6. Connect with other parents to share strategies that you've found to be effective.
7. Allow your child the freedom to explore their interests.
8. Take time to have fun as a family.
Hopefully these resources will prove to helpful for your family.
Station Camp Middle School Administration, Faculty, and Staff